[libfabric-users] Why does RxM use fi_getinfo?

Chris Dolan chrisdolan at google.com
Wed Feb 20 12:54:51 PST 2019

In rxm_conn_connect(), RxM uses fi_getinfo() to populate a fi_info
struct for the underlying msg provider's endpoint.

https://github.com/ofiwg/libfabric/blob/master/prov/rxm/src/rxm_conn.c#L1422

I *think* the purpose of that is to copy the dest_addr into the
fi_info. But if so, why not just use fi_dupinfo instead? There must be
some other reason that I'm overlooking (like some kind of
endpoint-oriented massaging of the fi_info by the provider) but I
can't think of what that might be.

The reason I'm asking is quite unimportant: we see spurious log
messages from this fi_getinfo call that are distracting (but the code
all works fine)
    libfabric:ofi_rxm:core:ofi_check_ep_attr():634<info> Unsupported
endpoint type
    libfabric:ofi_rxm:core:ofi_check_ep_attr():635<info> Supported: FI_EP_RDM
    libfabric:ofi_rxm:core:ofi_check_ep_attr():635<info> Requested: FI_EP_MSG

Chris