[libfabric-users] Fwd: fi_read questions

Arne Struck arnestruck at astruck.de
Thu Oct 15 13:46:49 PDT 2020

>> I have some additional questions regarding the usage of fi_rma,
>> especifically fi_read:
>>
>> Firstly: Is it needed to register the target local memory buffer as well
>> (and if so why, since it is created by the same application)?
> This is determined by checking the FI_MR_LOCAL mr_mode bit. If that
> bit is set, then the provider requires that local data buffers be
> registered. The reason for the registration is to provide a mapping
> from the virtual address used by the application to the physical
> memory address that the hardware will access. Registration pins that
> mapping, so that the virtual address does not migrate to a different
> physical address.
>
> The tcp provider won't need this, however, existing RDMA based
> hardware does. You can always register local buffers; there's just a
> performance cost.

Since at the moment I am using sockets and tcp provider, no receiving
memory registration is not needed.

What about verbs provider? I d like to tesk the program via infiband.

>> Is it the local file descriptor of the locally registered memory buffer
>> (case 1) or the "local" file descriptor of the remote memory region
>> (case 2).
>>

>> So far I get "No such file or directory" from the call. There are 2
>> connected endpoints, the access key was transfered from read target to
>> calling part of the application.
>>
>> Both memory regions are registered.
>>
>> I tried case 1 and setting the file descriptor to NULL so far. The first
>> one produced said result, the latter one too except for local testing.
>>
>> So I assume it is case 2, but wanted to confirm whether there is
>> something I dont see.
>>

>> for fi_mr_reg:
>>
>> No special flags are used
>>
>> modes are set to FI_READ | FI_REMOTE_READ | FI_WRITE
>>

>> for fi_read:
>>
>> a memory buffer is allocated and the length of the remote memory buffer
>> is known to the calling side (thus the buffer is of sufficient length)
>>
>> Offset stays at 0 (since all data of the target buffer is wanted)
> Note that the peer's buffer is identified by the memory key. The peer
> obtains this by calling fi_mr_key() after registering the memory. Any
> memory accessed remotely through an RMA operation (read or write) must
> be registered -- consider it opt-in security permission.

And the memory key is determined by the key it is given at creation.

Is it possible another key than the given one is chosen constantly if a
64 bit key is generated (so close to 0 cahnce of collision)?

> The address (addr parameter) passed into fi_read() is the offset into
> the peer's buffer. The address may either be 0-based (the default), or
> based on the virtual address that the peer uses to access the memory.
> In the latter case, the FI_MR_VIRT_ADDR mr_mode bit will be set.

I assumed that the mr_modes are set by user interaction. Since I dont
set FI_MR_VIRT_ADDR (in fact none) so far the mr_mode should be
FI_MR_SCALABLE/./

Thus it should be a 0-based offset (which is set to 0 at my application).
> As before, with tcp, it can use a 0-based offset. But RDMA hardware
> decided that having a base address start at the peer's virtual address
> made sense to them. So an offset of 0 is indicated by specifying the
> peer's virtual address associated with the start of the buffer.

In the target system there is no special RDMA hardware I know of.

> One way to handle this is for the peer to always exchange a base
> address with the mr key. If FI_MR_VIRT_ADDR is set, the base address
> is set to 0. If FI_MR_VIRT_ADDR is 0, the base address should equal
> the virtual address of the memory buffer. The process that initiates
> the RMA then just uses the provided key and base address that it was
> given.

What I can do is:

Verify that the mr_mode is indeed set to FI_MR_SCALABLE or another mr_mode.

Send the key returned by the fi_mr_key function and not directly the
generated ones.

Any other idea what I could be doing wrong/check? What additional
information could I provide to help in the search for my misunderstanding?

At least to me it seems that I am doint the steps right.

greetings, Arne.