[libfabric-users] questions on erbs provider for RDMA

Niyaz Murshed Niyaz.Murshed at arm.com
Tue Jun 25 14:08:20 PDT 2024

Hi all ,

I am trying to understand the verbs provider specially difference between the below:

  1.  Verbs
  2.  Verbs;ofi_rxd
  3.  Verbs;ofi_rxm

They seem to work on 3 different protocols

FI_PROTO_RDMA_CM_IB_RC
The protocol runs over Infiniband reliable-connected queue pairs, using the RDMA CM protocol for connection establishment.

FI_PROTO_RXM
Reliable-datagram protocol implemented over message endpoints. RXM is a libfabric utility component that adds RDM endpoint semantics over MSG endpoint semantics.
FI_PROTO_RXD
Reliable-datagram protocol implemented over datagram endpoints. RXD is a libfabric utility component that adds RDM endpoint semantics over DGRAM endpoint semantics.

>From my test of FI_PROTO_RDMA_CM_IB_RC, I see in wireshark that, its RoCEv2 protocol when I test application of RDMA.
What protocol do RXM and RXD use? I see its TCP packets on the wire? Does it mean it uses TCP ?
Is it possible to use RoCEv2 for RXM and RXD?
What is the best provider to use for RDMA ?

Regards,
Niyaz