[nvmewin] LBA range types

Luse, Paul E paul.e.luse at intel.com
Tue Apr 3 13:36:25 PDT 2012

Alex,

I think you and Kwok were the last ones paying attention to range type discussions in the NVMe WG, so I'll ask you.  I have a change I'm planning on submitting in the next few weeks that has SNTI honor the hidden attribute however when I added it I quickly discovered that QEMU doesn't report any info for LBA range type and our existing code (on the left below) see the mismatch between range LBAs an namespace size as an indication that there are multiple ranges when in this case it really just means the device gave us all 0's for LBA range info.  I notice 1.0c has the device reporting the number of range types in DW0 of the completion entry and since its zero based a device saying 0 now still works so I replaced the size check with that and added a size check to see if the device is reporting the LBA range as size 0 I assume it doesn't support range types at all and just expose it.

Can you fill us all in on the latest thoughts wrt range types and how we're supposed to deal with the various scenarios (multiples, un-configured, etc).  Also, let me know if you think the changes below are reasonable and I'll include them in my next patch.

Thx
Paul

[cid:image001.png at 01CD119E.C291EA60]

Paul Luse
Sr. Staff Engineer
PCG Server Software Engineering
Desk: 480.554.3688, Mobile: 480.334.4630