[nvmewin] Server migration

Ken Strandberg kens at openfabrics.org
Fri Apr 27 11:02:00 PDT 2012

In the next month, the OFA will be running from a new server. Nothing
exciting in terms of processing and memory - those specs are the same - but
much more disk space (/home is nearly full on sofa), and at quite a bit
less cost. A new IMAP mail service will be available if you want it. The
new server is called beany.openfabrics.org. And it's still being hosted by
the same service provider, so bandwidth, availability, reliability, etc.
will be the same from them. At this point, not data on sofa will change and
you will still run from sofa.

Everything will migrate over to beany, and it will become our list server,
mail server, git, web, etc. This email is to inform those with user
accounts that I will back up the sofa:/home directory and then rsync
beany:/home with sofa:/home for user data this weekend. User accounts and
the /home directory have already been set up, but the filesystems aren't
sync'd yet. Once I do that, and I'll notify when it's done, I'd appreciate
all users to check their home directories on beany and let me know if they
see any abnormalities. Then I will make sure all other systems are in place
and running on beany before doing one more sync, after which you will be
responsible for your files. Again, at this time, I will NOT affect any data
on sofa and you will still run from it. I realize that some users will not
get this email before I rsync this weekend; but your data will not be
affected on sofa.

After that, I will keep sofa up and available for a couple more weeks, cp
all /home directories to an archive space on beany that will be accessible
in case there are some users who still need to access existing data as of
the crossover date, tar /home offsite, and eventually remove the /home
archive from beany over the months. Sofa will be decommissioned by the end
of May.

Anyone with any concerns, requests, issues, recommendations, etc. please
reply to me only at kens at openfabrics.org.

--

*Ken Strandberg*
*Webmanager/SysAdmin*