[nvmewin] Setting a Windows Debugging Environment

Freyensee, James P james.p.freyensee at intel.com
Wed Aug 15 13:11:47 PDT 2012

I just used a 1394 connection and used Microsoft's MSDN pages to set mine up:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556866%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh698272%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I use VS 2012 and the latest WDK for VS 2012 because if you are targeting Win8, you need that VS version (per Microsoft).

VS 2012 allows you to set up and debug drivers within the IDE, but it falls well short of whatever "oohs-and-aahs" advertised.  For example, all your breakpoints are reset when you reset target device, unlike windbg which allows you to insert a breakpoint upon boot before rebooting the target machine.  I even filed a bug against VS 2012 on this behavior and the VS team closed it, saying they don't own this (which I can't understand).

So I don't know what benefit Microsoft thinks they have with an IDE that can't seem to remember breakpoints when debugging a driver (among other things I won't list), thus I continue to use windbg and don't recommend learning how to debug a driver with VS 2012.

One gotcha with installing VS 2012- you need to uninstall all your WDKs off your computer first before installing VS 2012 then the WDK. There's a bug in VS 2012 that will royally break driver compiling if you don't.