[nvmewin] Notes from NVMe Windows Working Grope Call 1/19

Luse, Paul E paul.e.luse at intel.com
Fri Jan 20 08:42:47 PST 2012

All-

Thanks for a great first call!

Working Group Rules/Guidelines:  Everything we state wrt operational procedures/rules/guidelines is subject to change based on "the common sense" rule.  As we're just starting out, we have to lay down a few guidelines but we reserve the right to course correct as we determine the effectiveness of those guidelines.  This policy applies across the board, so if anyone, at any time, recognizes an issue with how we're conducting the group that they believe is either inefficient or unfair in any way, they simply need to bring it to my attention and we're resolve it as a team and do what makes sense.

Notes from call 1/19:

-         Paul to send http access URL for SVN.  Website has already been updated, see https://www.openfabrics.org/resources/developer-tools/nvme-windows-development.html

-         SVN branching strategy

o   Latest is always on the trunk

o   Branch when we release, branches will be used to maintain the releases

o   For any experimental work that we'd like checked into the database (collaboration for example), we'll create a sand box branch from the trunk

-         Releases

o   Definition:  A posted binary (in SVN) following confirmation of the release criteria defined below.  Will include INF as well as release notes.

o   First release:  Will be considered after check-in of the final support for format NVM (Alex, IDT) is reviewed and committed

o   Subsequent Releases: Will be calendar based, Jan/Jun or as needed to support bug-fixes and/or member special requests.

o   Criteria: Release candidate needs to pass our test scripts, described next, by at least 3 companies using the QEMU device emulation platform (latest at the time).  In the event that a company has their own HW and sees issues that are not seen on QEMU but believed to be driver related, they can potentially hold up the release provided they can make a logical case with hard data explaining what the driver issue is and why it's not specific to their hardware.

o   Test Scripts:  TBD, we have a good idea of what tools/scripts we want to use but we'll trial run them as part of our first few patches and send out specifics later.  We have 2 patches in the near future (one from IDT and one from Intel) so we'll get those done and then post details and tools required.

-         Patches

o   Process:  Submitter needs to base their changes on the latest (and re-base/re-test prior to sending their patch).  They send the patch to the email list via TBD tool/format (we'll send details once we work them out).  Some review will happen over the reflector, the maintainer will send a message out that the db is locked when they're ready to apply the patch which will be once at least one member from each company on the review panel has approved (can be via email or con call if needed).  Once the patch is applied, the maintainer will send an email out.

o   Path contents:  Code changes, short summary for SVN log, more verbose write up for release notes, confirmation of testing.

o   Testing:  Same situation as test scripts for full releases, we'll send details after we run through the process a few times and work out the kinks

-         Bug Reporting

o   We'll use Bugzilla, details coming soon...

-         Meeting Logistics

o   For now we'll go "as needed", next one in probably 2-3 weeks.  One goal we have is to keep the overhead extremely light so don't expect a ton of meetings but since we're just starting up we will likely have multiple meetings for the next quarter or so.