[nvmewin] SCSI to NVMe Mapping

Guy Kendall guy.kendall at avagotech.com
Fri Aug 15 15:05:22 PDT 2014

Amber/Uma,

Sorry for the delayed response, I’m trying to get caught back up after
vacation.

First I should say that I am in no way leading the SCSI to NVMe translation
effort. I’m just the last person to contribute. The spec has been a
community effort with many companies contributing.

I didn’t contribute or modify the text you reference, but I’ll give you my
interpretation of it.

There are many commands that can be roughly translated between SCSI and
NVMe. However, there are also some SCSI commands that have no direct
translation to an NVMe command. In the case where there isn’t a direct
translation, the driver implementing the SCSI to NVMe translation layer
must respond to the SCSI commands in a way that will make a SCSI driver
sending these commands happy. I guess you can say that the driver has to
emulate these commands that can’t be translated. The translation spec does
indicate how you are supposed to respond to commands like Request Sense,
but the spec is certainly pretty light on detail. The SCSI to NVMe
translation spec serves the same purpose as the T10 SAT (SCSI to ATA
translation) spec, but the NVMe spec is much less mature. If you’re
interested, I think the NVMe community would welcome any proposals you have
to help update the NVMe translations to the same level as the ATA
translations.

Thanks,

Guy