[nvmewin] OFA NVMe Windows Driver Release Consolidation for 2015

Robles, Raymond C raymond.c.robles at intel.com
Thu Jul 30 15:16:09 PDT 2015

All,

In 2015, we've seen a pretty severe drop-off in patch contributions up to this point in the year.  In 2014, there were many patch submissions, and I think it was likely due to many companies working towards product releases (which we've seen quite a few of this year... as well as last year). It has been great to see the ecosystem adopt NVMe.

Now that the "traffic" has slowed down on the distribution list, I've consulted with the four reviewing companies and we have decided that we will consolidate our two original releases and will have just one release for 2015. This release will happen at the end of 2015 and we will roll in all patches submitted up to this point in time. The original patch schedule is included below. Note that bug fix patches are not included in this schedule.

Code Reviewing Companies:

-          PMC Sierra

-          HGST

-          Samsung

-          Intel

OFA 2015 Release - Feature Patch Schedule

Feature

Description

Submitter

Date

Concurrent Channels

Start I/O Concurrent Channels allows StartIo to be called in parallel resulting in improved IOPS.

Google (Iulius)

<TBD>

Perf Opts

Instead of learning cores, use perf opts. Shave off 2 seconds in init code... using Storport initialize perf opts. No need for source core interrupt steering code in driver.

Samsung (Suman)

June/July

Win 8.1 Timers

Storport Notification usage. Hot plug and IOCTLs, this does not work, for Win8.1... StorportRequestTimer() function needed.

Samsung (Suman)

July

EOL - Read Only

Read only support for devices at EOL. Detection at init, hot plug, or run-time.

Samsung (Suman)

August

Namespace Mgmt

Namespace management - creation and deletion of namespaces.

Intel (Ray/Carolyn)

August

SNTL

SNTL 1.5 doc updates

HGST (Tom)

August

Multi-Path

Multipath feature set from 1.1 spec (Multi-path I/O, Namespace Sharing, Reservations)

HGST (Tom)

November

RTD3

Active/idle RTD3

<TBD>

<TBD>

Temp Thresholds

Temperature thresholds (Get/Set Feature and AER trigger)

<TBD>

<TBD>

Live FW Update

Live firmware update

<TBD>

<TBD>

Atomicity

Atomicity Enhancements

<TBD>

<TBD>

Win 10

Win 10 support (push to Q4 release)

<TBD>

<TBD>

CFS Bit Monitoring

CFS bit monitoring and handling. Look into adding additional handling code just to monitor CSTS.CFS.

<TBD>

<TBD>

WHQL

WHQL test suite run (any bug fixes).