[Ofa_boardplus] OFA TPC Meeting

Jim Ryan jimdryan at outlook.com
Mon Nov 7 17:28:34 PST 2016

Hey Jason, thanks for the kindness of sharing your thoughts. This is not well known to me, so I’ll read it with great interest

Kind regards, Jim

On 11/7/16, 3:13 PM, "Jason Gunthorpe" <jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com> wrote:

    Hi Jim,

    Some thoughts on OFA conferencing.

    My personal preference right now is Google Hangouts. This is mostly
    because Google has open sourced and bundled the client side into
    Google Chrome so it works on every OS out of the box. But it is nice
    to use and screenshares well.

    Citrix Go-To-Meeting is my next preference because they have a HTML 5
    web client that works basically universally on Google Chrome. Paid
    options have a traditional POTS call in option as well as a Windows
    App client for users that cannot use Chrome.

    Cisco WebEx is a distant third. I have yet to see a HTML 5 version of
    this (they still use Java, ugh), so it never works reliably for me on
    Linux - but their mobile app is quite reasonable.

    I have never had success with Lync. I think a lot of this is because
    companies seem to use old versions. Eg Cray is using 2010. But even
    today 'Skype for Business' explicitly does not support Linux, so I'd
    just as soon avoid it..

    For what it is worth, I switched a non-profit board I am on to Google
    Apps for non-profit this year and we are very happy. We switched from
    Go-To-Meeting to Hangounts quite trivially and the real-time shared
    collaboration via Google Docs makes the sort of meeting we had today
    very smooth. Google Apps is free for US 501(c)(3) non-profits.

    (I guess they call it G Suite now)

    Jason