[Ofa_boardplus] OFA XWG 8/17

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Thu Aug 17 10:57:04 PDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 10:07:56PM +0000, Coulter, Susan K wrote:

> We are a different beast than most non-profits, so some nimble
> thinking will be required.

Since the OFA operates with recurring funding from its membership, and
the membership controls how the funding is spent via the board, it is
a very different situation. The OFA should have enough spare cash on
hand to deal with small emergencies and the imprecise nature of
budgeting..

But, ultimately, if the membership approves spending then they have to
provide funding too :)

> We should give some careful thought to what we think the appropriate
> cash reserve is for the OFA.

The $48k estimate from your last email seems reasonable to me.

> That will, in turn, inform whether we have any funds currently
> available to jump start opportunities for possible paid staff
> positions - and how we plan on funding any new expenditures in a
> fiscally responsible manner.

Even if OFA spent the entire $48k reserve it is not enough to do anything
on those two topics, in my estimation..

Jason