[Ofa_boardplus] OFED releases

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Tue May 16 14:48:13 PDT 2017

We have had some discussions with the distro’s (both Redhat and SUSE) to explore the possibility for the OFA and the distro’s to work closer together.
One of the things we discussed was having the distros be able to test early versions of distro releases in the UNHIOL testing lab so that if there
are any interop issues, they could be fixed before the distro version releases. This would require the distros to provide early drops of their code to UNH-IOL
similar to the arrangement they have with certain vendors.  This might allow the in-box distro code to be used for OFA interop logo testing in the future, rather than
using the community OFED, which they do now.
I think where we left it was that the distros were off contemplating it and perhaps also thinking about joining the OFA to facilitate that closer relationship.

Note also that we have been clearly communicating for some time now, that for most production users, they should use the in-box versions of OFA code whenever possible
and only need to install and use the community OFED if they need something that may be in OFED that is not yet in the distro, which is becoming a smaller
and smaller set of things every day.

My 2 cents.