[Ofa_boardplus] OFA Collaboration via Zoom

Coulter, Susan K skc at lanl.gov
Tue Oct 10 10:41:11 PDT 2017

> On Oct 10, 2017, at 11:32 AM, Jason Gunthorpe <jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 05:18:20PM +0000, Coulter, Susan K wrote:

>>> I agree with Jim's reasoning regarding the board meetings, it matches
>>> advice I have also received in the past.
>>
>> To my mind, there is little difference between the fairly detailed minutes we have, and recordings.
>> That said, since we have members who feel strongly about it, that is good enough for me.
>> If even one member is uncomfortable with it - it is off the table.
>
> Under the reasoning Jim gave, the board meeting minutes may be too
> extensive today :(

+1

> For legal safety, the goal may be not to record every statement and
> disagreement, but to record important factual statements and the
> results of votes.

+1

> Of course, this makes the minutes useless as a collaborative tool.

It seems to me folks read the minutes to insure their comments were recorded correctly.
Beyond that, they are simply a legal (and important) requirement.
I’ve never seen them used as a collaborative tool, nor referred to ever again.

> Each board has to weigh the legal risks vs the collaborative benefit.
>
> Jason

Susan Coulter
LANL / USRC / HPC-DES
Network Lead
(505) 412-6525
“Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right”  Robert Hunter