[Ofa_boardplus] OFA Collaboration via Zoom

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Tue Oct 10 10:32:47 PDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 05:18:20PM +0000, Coulter, Susan K wrote:

> > On Oct 6, 2017, at 1:16 PM, Jason Gunthorpe <jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 06:40:43PM +0000, Pappas, Jim wrote:
> >
> >> While mandatory for the BOD meetings I believe it is also good
> >> organizational hygiene to have a no-recording policy for all
> >> meetings of the organization.
> >
> > I agree with Jim's reasoning regarding the board meetings, it matches
> > advice I have also received in the past.
>
> To my mind, there is little difference between the fairly detailed minutes we have, and recordings.
> That said, since we have members who feel strongly about it, that is good enough for me.
> If even one member is uncomfortable with it - it is off the table.

Under the reasoning Jim gave, the board meeting minutes may be too
extensive today :(

For legal safety, the goal may be not to record every statement and
disagreement, but to record important factual statements and the
results of votes.

Of course, this makes the minutes useless as a collaborative tool.

Each board has to weigh the legal risks vs the collaborative benefit.

Jason