[Ofa_boardplus] OFA XWG Agenda 9/14

Atchley, Scott atchleyes at ornl.gov
Thu Sep 14 11:16:38 PDT 2017

Hi Susan,

Here are a few thoughts about the budget, operating reserve, etc.

1) The operating budget that we are discussing is only $160-170K/year

Given that the plugfest dollars are a pass-through and that we incur no expenses if the income does not come, I am ignoring this $140K, which is how I arrive at a budget of $160-170K.

2) We have 2.3 years in reserve

Clearly, this is too much. I would be comfortable with 1.0 years in reserve or less. I would even consider Jim’s mention of shut-down funds or perhaps 1.5x that value just in case we overlooked something.

3) The bulk of the remaining budget is marketing

What is this used for? Is it really Workshop expenses that should be classified as such? If so, the Workshop operates ~$75K in the red and is not break-even.

4) I am opposed to using reserve money to pay operating expenses

I do not believe in using “one-time” money for on-going expenses. If we hire or contract with someone to perform a job (ED or maintainer), that funding should come from income from day one. If not, it will simply draw down the reserve until it runs out and then you can no longer pay the staff/contractors. I would not be comfortable with bringing someone on with the expectations that we will raise dues without firm commitments from all current members to accept the higher levels. If you have that, then simply raise the dues and cover the added costs (i.e. don’t draw down the reserve for this).

5) So what is the reserve good for?

I do not know. New training materials? Upgrading the IOL equipment? Other?

Scott