[Ofa_boardplus] OFA XWG Agenda 9/14

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Thu Sep 14 21:18:05 PDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 06:14:14PM +0000, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:

> One thing that I was unable to squeeze into the discussion today but
> something that I think we should consider is in addition funding a
> maintainer and executive director position, hire someone (perhaps in
> UNH-IOL) to specifically do testing of the upstream code while it is
> under development. I see a gap here and have seen instances where
> there are bugs introduced in the kernel that are not found/fixed
> till that code gets tested later in an OFED release or when the
> Linux distro does their testing.  If those bugs could get caught
> earlier in the process, it would benefit everyone that is
> downstream.

We had a lengthy talk about testing today at the plumbers conference..

There is already quite a lot of testing going on, at RH, in the
member companies, etc. We are starting to see success on the push to
have companies directly test upstream as most have started doing that.

>From a community perspective I think the tests people are using are
closed-source, so establishing a test facility at UNH without also
arranging a contribution of existing test suites may not be a good
use of OFA funds.

Jason