[Ofa_boardplus] OFA XWG Agenda 9/14

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Thu Sep 14 21:45:50 PDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 11:12:26PM +0000, Paul Grun wrote:

> I am not suggesting keeping a two year operating reserve.  But I am
> suggesting a one year reserve which can be used to carry us through
> a protracted slump in income.

I think the reserve or cash balance issue is a little more complex
than that..

Due to the way the cash flow works the OFA needs to start each year
with about 50%-75% of its operating budget available in cash. This is
because it takes so long to get members to pay dues while expenses are
ongoing..

So, I think starting each year with 100% of that years budget in cash
is a reasonable way to operate. It will give many years of reduced
income (10-20%), so long as someone is managing the cash flow.

That would suggest there is ~200k available to spend, and spending it
100k$/year would give two years to show results and raise income to
make the spending permament.

Jason