[Ofa_boardplus] Nomination for OFA Vice-Chair position

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 09:22:48 PDT 2018

After speaking with my management in Red Hat, I have been given the
approval to nominate myself for this position.

The tasks and duties of this position would be a bit of a new role for
me.  So I anticipate a little of a learning curve should I be elected.

However, these are some of the background items I would bring to the job:

- I am an upstream maintainer of the linux kernel RDMA support
- I am an upstream maintainer of the linux user space rdma-core support
- I am an experienced package/subsystem maintainer
- More than 20 years in the linux kernel space
- Almost 20 years in the OS distribution space (Oct of this year is 20)
- I've been representing Red Hat to the OFA, where we have long strived
  to remain neutral towards all hardware vendors since we wish to work
  with all of you (and I believe I've succeeded in this task)
- I believe I have demonstrated that I personally maintain a good
  relationship with Red Hat's competitive OS vendors in the spirit of
  good open source community membership

Aside from the background, I believe my current focus on forward looking
RDMA technology could bring additional benefit to this position.  I'm
currently focusing on the evolution of the RDMA stack towards proper
container operation, integration with container categorization software,
container repositories, etc.  As the think tank at this years OFA
workshop showed, there's a lot of work to be done in this space.  Not
all of that work is in the RDMA community.  Moving this foward as an
official representative of the OFA would seem a good fit, assuming the
OFA also sees containers as a valuable next technology area.

I'm sure there will be discussions and what not moving forward, this was
just my official self-nomination letter with a short background and
purpose blurb.  See you guys at the meetings.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
    GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD