[Ofa_boardplus] Gold Deck - suggesting one more revision.

Paul Grun grun at cray.com
Fri Jul 20 14:55:33 PDT 2018

I apologize for doing so, since we spent time at the last Board meeting...

I was once again reviewing the ANS slide from the Gold Deck.  I think we inadvertently munged together some unrelated items in the second major bullet on the ANS slide.

Here's the text as it exists today on Slide 4 (see the attached Gold Deck)

  *   The OFA is actively developing and supporting the following fabric technologies:
     *   Kernel-level modules to support device level applications:
        *   Storage Technologies (Lustre(tm), SRP, NVMoF, etc)
        *   Legacy Communication (Sockets)
     *   User mode APIs for:
        *   Verbs API supporting InfiniBand-style networks
        *   Parallel Message Passing (MPI, SHMEM)
        *   OpenFabrics Interfaces (OFI) providing a higher level semantic that is untethered to any particular network
        *   RDMA implementations
     *   Support for emerging and future networks
        *   Remote Persistent Memory

We were careful in our review of the introductory paragraph, but we may have missed some points in the body of the slide.

  1.  The first bullet refers to 'device level applications', but I think a more accurate statement would be 'kernel level applications.  I also recommend replacing the expression "kernel-level modules" with "kernel modules", which is accurate and concise.
  2.  The major issue occurs in the second bullet referring to user mode.  The four subbullets are an unfortunate amalgam of APIs, applications, and protocols.  I think we have two choices:
     *   Focus on the classes of user mode applications we're supporting (e.g. MPI, SHMEM ...) or focus on the two families of APIs we support.  I am opting for the latter since I think it would be hard to characterize the user level applications.
  3.  I also added the word 'usages' to the third major bullet, since Remote Persistent Memory (RPM) is an emerging usage, not an emerging network.

Here are my suggested edits:

  *    The OFA is actively developing and supporting the following fabric technologies:
     *   Kernel modules to support kernel level applications:
        *   Storage technologies (Lustre(tm), SRP, NVMoF, etc)
        *   Legacy communication interfaces (Sockets)
     *   User mode APIs based on:
        *   Verbs supporting InfiniBand-style networks
        *   OpenFabrics Interfaces (OFI) providing a higher level semantic that is network independent
     *   Emerging usages and future networks
        *   Remote Persistent Memory

I'd like to put this on the agenda for next week's XWG.  Hopefully the last time around.  Meanwhile, let's discuss by email.

Regards,
-Paul

Advanced Technology Group
Cray, Inc.