[Ofa_boardplus] XWG Minutes for 1 March 2018

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 12:10:54 PST 2018

On Thu, 2018-03-01 at 16:12 -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 07:09:39PM +0000, Aguilar, Michael J. wrote:
>
> >    A tentative Mission Statement was developed for delivery to the OFA
> >    Board.
>
> Confused why the words 'open source' are not present in the proposed
> mission statement..

I think the words open source imply software only.  The mission
statement was about encouraging the adoption of advanced networks, which
are both hardware and software, and none of the hardware is open source.
 So while including open source when talking about the software is
probably OK (I'm not sure we would want to put it in the mission
statement as it might preclude something that I'm currently failing to
imagine, but I can easily imagine my failure of imagination, so I'm
being cautious), I'm not sure I would hem the OFA in that way.  It might
be best to keep the open source preference front and center in the by-
laws, but make it a preference and not a hard requirement, and if that's
the case, you probably wouldn't want to go into that in the mission
statement.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
    GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD