[Ofa_boardplus] OpenFabrics Alliance XWG Meeting Minutes from 9 May 2019

Jason Gunthorpe jgg at ziepe.ca
Fri May 10 10:59:57 PDT 2019

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 10:03:55AM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-05-09 at 15:05 -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > Generally speaking a non-profit should have a clear policy what license
> > it will use on work produced under the umbrella of that project.
>
> If they were intending to man projects on their own, then that would be
> a concern.  But the last project the OFA attempted to man via promoter
> donated man hours was the EWG/OFED, and people agree that this is
> winding down and planning to go away.  The OFA must decide if it's going
> to try and do that sort of thing again, or do like it did with OFIWG,
> which was be a supportive organization, but leave it up to the community
> to actually create and man the project.

If the community and contributors decide that OFA is the umbrella then
the OFA should have clear general rules governing community behavior.

If the community doesn't want to be under OFA umbrella then it can
leave. That is the standard relationship we see these day, ie Apache
Foundation is particularly good at this model, as has Linux Foundation.

The fact is most 'community' has no idea how to do all this legal
stuff and generally welcomes a help and a set of rules to follow.

Jason