[Openframeworkwg] Some concerns about the new Fabric/IBverbs API

Paul Grun grun at cray.com
Thu Dec 5 11:15:13 PST 2013

I am replying to Christoph's initial message because it seems to frame the question most clearly.

Christoph, could I persuade you to present your thoughts in the form of a brief proposal?  That might be a good way to frame the question in order to bring the whole up to speed on your idea as well as accelerate the process of coming to closure.  It need not be a detailed proposal, but simply a way to both fully understand the idea and understand its merits.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are proposing two separate, but interrelated ideas:

1.       Leverage existing Linux shared library mechanisms as a "pseudo-framework" for providing application access to provider services

2.       The use of the VFIO interface to all direct memory access transfers (including direct access to low level driver controls).

Is this something you would be willing to take on for next Tuesday's meeting?
Thanks,
-Paul