[Openframeworkwg] Some concerns about the new Fabric/IBverbs API

Christoph Lameter christoph at lameter.com
Thu Dec 5 12:40:07 PST 2013

Well my ideas are a bit fragmented right now and I am not sure that I can
even call this a proposal (more vague ideas) but I can try to get some more
cohesive thoughts together by Tuesday. I have to confess that I am a bit
more comfortable with developing ideas via email since that is the
traditional mode of operation among kernel developers.

I think we need to explore way to simplify the use of RDMA and at the same
time make it more universally applicable. Using established mechanisms like
the library system and existing raw device interfaces could be a viable
approach.

I just looked at the inline code in ibverbs and it looks like this is
simply a move of the indirect function call into the app instead of being
in separate function. That is not really what I would call inline. A true
inline call would be able to hand the device i/o without any additional
function calls. With libraries true inline calls would be possible if one
would compile against a specific vendor library. A vendor could provide an
inline function f.e. to poll the cq by reading/writing memory mapped
location directly from within the app.

If one has done so then the application would be only able to work with a
certain device since device specific inline code was generated in the
executable.

If we just want the indirection inline then that can also be done with a
library approach by setting up vectors there. dlopen and friends can then
be used to populate that table and the same approach that ibverbs does
today would still work.

How much of a benefit is the current inline indirection implementation in
ibverbs.h for ib_post_send etc?