[Openframeworkwg] additional thoughts for application IO requirements

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Wed Dec 18 10:13:44 PST 2013

I jotted down the following notes for discussion/inclusion on the 'IO Characteristics" slide 6 from Paul's presentation.

In addition to latency and bandwidth requirements, we have more general QoS -- priority (on either a per connection or per message basis) and jitter.

Two additional terms I hear are active messages and triggered operations.

Here are some other thoughts wrt databases and/or storage that I'm making up.
Transaction support - I'm not sure what this requires, but may be other forms of atomic operations not defined by IB.
Data versioning - may be part of transaction support - again, I'm not sure of requirements on the IO subsystem - active messages? dynamically adjusted local memory offsets? time stamping?
Optimized support for operations such as sendfile() - file or object level awareness.

Regarding legacy apps (meaning sockets) - I would continue to track these.  The requirements are more well known, but they place a different requirement on IO.  For example, whether we preserve message boundaries or expose a stream.  The slides capture synchronous versus asynchronous operations; sockets also includes 'nonblocking' synchronous operations.  Based on feedback I've received, there's a strong interest in extending sockets with higher performance operations, where it makes sense to do so.