[Openframeworkwg] OFA OFWG meeting minutes and responses to AR re organizational recommendations

Ryan, Jim jim.ryan at intel.com
Tue Sep 17 17:15:02 PDT 2013

I'm going to cut off the lengthy email thread after the useful comment from Woody below to give you some context for this new comment. By "context" I just mean the most recent comment, not something relevant to this comment. I'd like to suggest a couple of alternatives to our procedures for the new WG having to do with the removal of a WG chair.

As you know from previous discussion, we've agreed the Board has the responsibility to select the co-chairs, and further that the WG will not send any recommendations to the Board. Thus there will be some sort of ratification of two names should they come forward, or an alternative process to get from 3+ candidates to 2 co-chairs, should that turn out to be the case.

What I'd like to suggest here is a process to remove a co-chair. Assuming you agree such a provision is needed, I see two possible ways to do this. First, the fact the Board has the power and obligation to select the chair(s) suggests they have the power to name new chairs. Therefore one approach would be to simply note this in our proposed procedures.

Note that this isn't as obvious as it may seem. The Bylaws for Board appointments, for example, are very clear and completely distinct from the procedures for removing such a Board member. The Bylaws are mute on any such procedures at the WG level, hence the suggestion for an explicit mention.

A second approach would be to propose the WG can remove a co-chair by a 2/3 vote of members.

I think either approach would be fine and I doubt either would ever by invoked, but I think it's a good idea to have this in place.

As always, comment more than welcome - that's what this is all about

Regards, jim