[Openframeworkwg] FW: NVM Programming TWG-OFWG pre-meeting to set up Tuesday's meeting -- I saw the request for an afternoon meeting, but I have a conflict at 1. I'm free from 2 on, does this work?

Bernard Metzler BMT at zurich.ibm.com
Tue Feb 11 11:55:02 PST 2014

I really enjoyed todays presentation of the SNIA NVM programming model.
Many thanks to Paul and Doug! Maybe it's that I was so impressed or it
was one of these simple blackouts of my brain - what I wanted to say but
missed to say and what finally came back when I was cycling home is the
following:
I see lots of similarities between both RDMA and SNIA/NVM programming
models.
I mean, similarities regarding needed semantics. Dealing with the specifics
of protected access to networked, remote memory, the current RDMA verbs
programming model already comes with a whole tool set of registering
and asynchronously accessing memory, with explicit access completion
notification, atomicity, work request fencing etc etc. I think it is
worth thinking about merging both NVM and RDMA APIs into one IO fabrics
interface, which could be one of the further out goals of this working
group.
Of course this would demand solving other well known issues which were
already touched at our last calls, like making memory registration
implicit or light weight, if the application does not want to care.

In a nutshell, my point is that it may make sense considering a joined
effort of defining an IO interface.

Thank you,
Bernard.

openframeworkwg-bounces at lists.openfabrics.org wrote on 02/11/2014 02:54:50