[Openframeworkwg] MPI slides for today

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Jan 29 08:28:47 PST 2014

On Jan 28, 2014, at 2:05 PM, "Hefty, Sean" <sean.hefty at intel.com> wrote:

> Going through this is very useful.  At some point, we may need to delve into more details on how specific requirements will be met through the API.  My guess is that there may be multiple methods available, depending on what's optimal for a given piece of hardware.

Agreed on all of that.

> Since you asked at the end of the meeting, I am still trying to develop libfabric in parallel with gathering these requirements.  I'm working on providing low-level details of the APIs via man pages that can be expanded and refined upon as we progress.  That will be followed with ensuring that we have a good map to verbs-based hardware.  It's going slower than I hoped, but some progress is being made.

Ok.  When you have something worth showing to the MPI community, we should set something up for that.

It might also be worthwhile to have some physical meetings to discuss this stuff, particularly for the parts that the MPI community will care about -- that will require prolonged conversations, white boards, etc.  The kind of stuff you can really only do when you have a full day or two together to hash this kind of stuff out.

FWIW: for these kinds of reasons, we've found physical meetings to be a necessary part of the MPI Forum process.

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquyres at cisco.com