[Openframeworkwg] Googleable names

Paul Grun grun at cray.com
Thu Jan 30 10:15:07 PST 2014

We have focused on RDMA-enabled fabrics, but have been very careful to build the framework in such a way that it could be run over e.g. conventional TCP/IP/Enet by pushing the details down into the provider layer.  It might not perform very well, but it would work.
Sean please correct me if that is wrong.

There may also be a semantics problem here; I talk about "RDMA-enabled fabrics" to generally mean e.g. IB, or RoCE or iWARP - a fabric that has the fundamental characteristic that it places data directly in user memory w/o OS intervention (i.e. stack bypass).  In the case of IB, there are two modes for doing so using either a channel semantic (e.g. SEND/RCV) or a memory semantic (e.g RDMA READ or RDMA WRITE).

There are others in the world who refer to RDMA, as I believe Sean does and the iWARP community does, as one of several specific transfer models, in this case RDMA refers to directly referencing remote memory.  Note Sean's use of the expression RMA.