[ofiwg] OFI WG - minor naming issue -- asking for comment

Ryan, Jim jim.ryan at intel.com
Fri Nov 7 09:56:09 PST 2014

Jason, thanks for the note and this is a critical point. You've set it up nicely. The point, I think, is that abbreviations are inherently "non-specific". If you Google "SFI" you'll get all kinds of things, including the Wikipedia definition of the "Sustainable Forest Initiative", a non-profit organization for quality standards for race cars and many others. That's why it's important the context is set by providing the full text "Scalable Fabric Interfaces".

At the same time, I wouldn't consider using the abbreviation "IBM" in this way. Some abbreviations should be viewed as simply taken.

Therefore I think the ultimate questions is whether any of the other uses of "SFI" rise to the level of making it essentially unavailable for our use

Thanks again for the point you made

Regards, Jim