[ofiwg] Today's Data Storage and Data Access weekly meeting

Ryan, Jim jim.ryan at intel.com
Tue Nov 18 09:47:14 PST 2014

Re the discussion of the TRIM command, the following may be helpful:

Trim (computing)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  (Redirected from TRIM)

Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Trim (disambiguation).

A Trim command (commonly typeset as TRIM) allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally.[1]

Trim was introduced soon after SSDs started to become an affordable alternative to traditional hard disks. Because low-level operation of SSDs differs significantly from hard drives, the typical way in which operating systems handle operations like deletes and formats resulted in unanticipated progressive performance degradation of write operations on SSDs.[2] Trimming enables the SSD to handle garbage collection overhead, which would otherwise significantly slow down future write operations to the involved blocks, in advance.[3]

Although tools to "reset" some drives to a fresh state were already available before the introduction of trimming, they also delete all data on the drive, which makes them impractical to use for ongoing optimization.[4] More recent SSDs will often contain internal idle/background garbage collection mechanisms that work independently of trimming; although this successfully maintains their performance even under operating systems that do not (yet) support Trim, it has the associated drawbacks of increased write amplification and wear of the flash cells.[5]