[ofiwg] Proposed changes to nightly tarballs

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Aug 31 07:41:49 PDT 2015

With no feedback, I went ahead and did this.

*** IF YOU HAVE AUTOMATED TESTING DOWNLOADING TARBALLS FROM THE OFIWG DOWNLOAD SITE,
*** YOU MUST UPDATE YOUR URLS!

If you visit https://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/ofiwg/nightly_tarballs/, you'll now see 3 subdirs):

- archives (everything from before today)
- v1.1.x
- v1.2.x

Enjoy.

> On Aug 28, 2015, at 9:52 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres at cisco.com> wrote:
>
> Since we have created a fork for the v1.1.1 release, I'd like to start making nightly tarballs for that branch.
>
> To do this, however, will require a change in how the nightly tarballs are organized.
>
> Currently, all nightly tarballs are put in https://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/ofiwg/nightly_tarballs/.
>
> SHORT VERSION
> =============
>
> On Monday 31 Aug 2015, I'd like to move to the following URL/directory structure:
>
>   https://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/ofiwg/nightly_tarballs/1.1.x/ - v1.1.1 nightly tarballs
>   https://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/ofiwg/nightly_tarballs/1.2.x/ - master (i.e., v1.2.0) nightly tarballs
>   https://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/ofiwg/nightly_tarballs/archive/ - everything from before Monday
>
> *** THIS WILL IMPACT ORGANIZATIONS WITH AUTOMATIC DOWNLOAD / TESTING SCRIPTS ***
>
> Sound ok?
>
> MORE DETAIL
> ===========
>
> We name our nightly tarballs using "git describe", which gives an output like this on master:
>
>    v1.1.0-90-g8f74952
>
> and this on the v1.1.x branch:
>
>    v1.1.0-34-g02ed7f2
>
> Notice that the "describe" output doesn't make it immediately obvious which tarball this is, because they're both N commits away from the "v1.1.0" git tag.
>
> Hence, I'd like to add a directory structure to clearly segregate the nightly tarballs of different branches from each other.
>
> It's not worth re-classifying the old nightly tarballs; just dump them all into an "archive" folder.  ...or possibly even delete them -- disk space may be cheap, but there's little point in keeping these old nightly tarballs, IMHO.
>
> Note that using this "git describe" scheme means that if a master nightly tarball and a v1.1.x nightly tarball are downloaded into the same folder, you can't tell them apart by filename.  You'll have to either examine the hash or open the tarball and look at the configure.ac inside.  But I (still) think that that's ok: nightly tarballs are a unit of testing, and not meant to be long-lived, permanent artifacts for end-user consumption.
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres at cisco.com

Jeff Squyres