[ofiwg] creating a table with markdown

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Wed Jan 7 12:06:52 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 07:53:35PM +0000, Hefty, Sean wrote:
> > FWIW, we chose to use markdown because it plays well in the github
> > environment.  E.g., markdown is natively rendered as web pages in the
> > github web page-hosting environment.
>
> Using github flavored markdown, I can get something that might confuse a reader into thinking that they're looking at a table.  But the conversion to man pages needs help.
>
> Jason, have you tried creating tables using RST?

rst2man input:

DESCRIPTION
===========

=====  === ===
Table  Col Col
=====  === ===
Line   a   b
Line2  c   d
=====  === ===

Gives:

DESCRIPTION

                                                   +------+-----+-----+
                                                   |Table | Col | Col |
                                                   +------+-----+-----+
                                                   |Line  | a   | b   |
                                                   +------+-----+-----+
                                                   |Line2 | c   | d   |
                                                   +------+-----+-----+

(the table is centered in my terminal)

FWIW, quick start for a RST man page:

.. Copyright 2014 BLAH. See COPYING.

======
 cmd
======

----------------------------------
 1 line summary of command
----------------------------------

:Author: Jason Gunthorpe <jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com>
:Date: January, 2015
:Manual section: 8
:Copyright: Copyright BLAH. See COPYING.

SYNOPSIS
========

``cmd`` ``--help``

DESCRIPTION
[..]

SEE ALSO
========

--
Jason Gunthorpe <jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com>        (780)4406067x832
Chief Technology Officer, Obsidian Research Corp         Edmonton, Canada