[ofiwg] linux coding style question, or what is the libfabric interpretation of "resembles"

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Mar 11 08:49:44 PDT 2015

On Mar 11, 2015, at 11:42 AM, Blocksome, Michael <michael.blocksome at intel.com> wrote:

>> I like the idea of an auto-installed pre-commit hook, but there simply may be
>> too much variety out there to do it safely.
>
> I think it can be done safely if the threshold for giving up is low. For example, only link to the ofiwg pre-commit hook if there is no pre-existing hook.  Otherwise, dump a warning/info message and do nothing.

But that's undesirable because:

1. I already have a pre-commit hook, but I'll run the libfabric hook at the end of mine, and I therefore don't need a suggestion to install the libfabric one.
2. After it installs the pre-commit hook the first time, it's going to offer a suggestion of installing it (again) every other time because it will detect that a hook is now there.

> The user will just have to be surprised when their code is rejected at the server, and we can provide the same help text at that time as a polite "suggestion". :)

Keep in mind that we can't reject commits at the server -- github doesn't offer the capability of a pre-commit hook (only a post-commit hook).

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquyres at cisco.com