[ofiwg] linux coding style question, or what is the libfabric interpretation of "resembles"

Blocksome, Michael michael.blocksome at intel.com
Wed Mar 11 08:42:38 PDT 2015

> From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) [mailto:jsquyres at cisco.com]
>
> On Mar 11, 2015, at 11:09 AM, Patrick MacArthur <pmacarth at iol.unh.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > If the group likes the manual solution better, I'm ok with that as well.
> > I just wanted to point out that we do have a mechanism to install hooks
> > into a repository semi-automatically, should we wish to do so.
>
> I like the idea of an auto-installed pre-commit hook, but there simply may be
> too much variety out there to do it safely.

I think it can be done safely if the threshold for giving up is low. For example, only link to the ofiwg pre-commit hook if there is no pre-existing hook. Otherwise, dump a warning/info message and do nothing. The user will just have to be surprised when their code is rejected at the server, and we can provide the same help text at that time as a polite "suggestion". :)