[ofiwg] linux coding style question, or what is the libfabric interpretation of "resembles"

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Mar 11 09:48:45 PDT 2015

On Mar 11, 2015, at 12:20 PM, Blocksome, Michael <michael.blocksome at intel.com> wrote:

>> 1. I already have a pre-commit hook, but I'll run the libfabric hook at the end
>> of mine, and I therefore don't need a suggestion to install the libfabric one.
>
> Sure. You are an advanced user of git. Is that a problem to see help text intended
> for others? The help text would be targeted to those who are not advanced
> users of git, and yet have some pre-existing hooks for whatever reason. Novice
> users will not have the hook. Advanced users will incorporate the hook themselves.

I hear what you're saying, but if that message will effectively be displayed every time you run autogen (i.e., it might not be displayed for you the *first* time, because it installed the hook for you), is it really of much use?

>> Keep in mind that we can't reject commits at the server -- github doesn't
>> offer the capability of a pre-commit hook (only a post-commit hook).
>
> Right .. but doesn't the development process require the maintainer to merge
> and/or perform pull requests before code gets in to master? Only a select few
> can push to master, right?

Sure -- I was just nit-picking:

- there is no pre-commit hook at Github
- we can certainly run a travis-ci or jenkins on all pull requests, checking for style, etc. (OFA already has the flatbed.openfabrics.org server where the travis/jenkins/whatever can run)

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquyres at cisco.com