[ofiwg] [ANNOUNCE] libfabric release 1.0

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Tue May 5 11:11:53 PDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-05-05 at 07:42 -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Do you have a non-buzzword version of the announcement that says it
> actually does as well?  Mught be better to send that one to development
> lists and leave the BS for social media.

It is a user space library and API for RDMA programming that isn't tied
to any specific form of RDMA hardware.  It abstracts away the things
that are different between, say, IB Verbs and USNIC and iWARP, and
presents a single API that works on them all.

To use an analogy I put forward at the Monterey developer conference, if
libibverbs (and the various extensions) are more or less like assembly
language programming, where the application has to make minor changes to
accomodate all of the various hardware types and extensions, libfabric
is more like the C programming language version of RDMA programming.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: 0E572FDD