[ofiwg] DS/DA - FW: new NVM slide

Paul Grun grun at cray.com
Thu Feb 18 16:31:53 PST 2016

Folks – Here is a proposed replacement for the existing Slide 8 (Emerging Storage Protocols).  Can we have a lively email discussion on this?  I’ll start:

The existing Slide 8 tries to make the case that improved completion semantics provided by kfabric (and libfabric) are required to support so-called ‘client driven’ usage models.  This is driven primarily by the emergence of remote, byte-addressable NVM, which is likely to see much smaller average payload sizes than classical ‘server driven’ storage models.

Nevertheless, my question is whether folks believe that data replication is likely to become a key driver of RDMA with NVM.  I think Frank makes some excellent points in his slide, but I’m not sure that, by itself, is a compelling argument.

Comments?
-Paul