[ofiwg] Question about endpoints and passive endpoints

Graham, Nathaniel Richard ngraham at lanl.gov
Mon Sep 19 15:13:39 PDT 2016

Hello,

I have been working on a project to get some performance numbers for libfabric when run with Java bindings and have gotten to a point where I need to understand how the different end points are related, and what functionality they share.  I am primarily interested in plain endpoints, and passive endpoints.

>From what I can tell from fi_endpoint.h and fi_cm.h, fid_pep and fid_ep share the method groups fi_ops_ep and fi_ops_cm.  It appears that in those methods, if fid_t is used, any endpoint can be used and if fid_pep is used, a passive endpoint must be used.

If fid_ep is used, could a passive endpoint use it, or does it have to be a normal endpoint?

Ive also noticed in methods like rx_ctx there are variables such as: fid_ep *sep.  Does this indicate only a scalable endpoint should be used?

Thanks for any clarifications!

-Nathan

--
Nathaniel Graham