[ofiwg] libfabric provider-only installation

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue May 23 07:00:59 PDT 2017

On May 22, 2017, at 6:18 PM, Hefty, Sean <sean.hefty at intel.com> wrote:

> We currently allow building providers as separate libraries.  However, I don't think we have any way to create a package of only a provider or to install only the provider library.  Does anyone have any input into how this is best accomplished?

There's two typical options:

1. Make your packaging only pick up the provider library(ies) that you want.  I.e., libfabric would still do a full install, but your RPM specfile (or whatever) would only pick up $pkglibdir/libPROVIDER-fi.*.

2. We could add another configure CLI option (e.g., --enable-only-install=PROVIDER, or something), but that would add a bit more complexity to the configure / build system... and I think you would probably hate that.  :-)  (short version/off the top of my head: we'd add more AM_CONDITIONALs to enable/disable installing the core and each provider DL)

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquyres at cisco.com