[ofiwg] managing stable branches

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Nov 28 10:54:43 PST 2017

> I hear what you're saying, but let me ask you a different question:
> why is this *your* problem?

I'm usually the one responsible for creating the stable release, and I’m often the first person any problems are routed to.

Stable releases have been treated as an after-the-fact thing.  I'm proposing that we change that behavior.

> Or, put differently: if this is *your* problem / individual
> developers are not good about cherry picking their own commits down
> to release branches, what's the chance that they'll think/remember
> to add "TOKEN:RELEASE" to their commit messages for relevant
> commits?

It's less work, so hopefully better than cherry-picking and opening multiple PRs.

If I see a PR that looks like stable material, I usually ask the submitter to open a separate PR against the branch, or I'll mark it on github and hope I remember to pick it manually.  Asking to update a commit message is easier on the submitter.

How does OMPI handle backporting fixes to stable releases?