[ofiwg] including NetworkDirect headers in libfabric project

Coulter, Susan K skc at lanl.gov
Wed Mar 28 11:10:02 PDT 2018

On Mar 28, 2018, at 12:03 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres at cisco.com<mailto:jsquyres at cisco.com>> wrote:

On Mar 28, 2018, at 11:12 AM, Hefty, Sean <sean.hefty at intel.com<mailto:sean.hefty at intel.com>> wrote:

Not that I'm aware of.  I've found the headers in other github projects, but that doesn't mean much.

I'm sure someone here in OFA can find the Right Someone to talk to in Microsoft for us.

Speaking for the OFA, we can do this for you - unless Sean or someone else wants to take this on.
With whom should we coordinate from OFIWG regarding the completeness of the list of questions below, and/or any follow-up discussions ?

I think the questions / discussion will be pretty easy (IANAL and all that), but we might as well try to do the Right Thing before doing something that could unintentionally have some repercussions.

- Is it ok if we commit these files to our repo (such that they will be publicly available to the world)?
 --> Doesn't matter if others are doing it.  We need to ask if it's ok if *we* do it.
- Are we allowed to edit those headers?
- What license are those headers distributed under?
- Is it ok if we distribute these files in our source packages (e.g., in the source tarball)?
- Is it ok if we distribute binaries that call the APIs in these files?
- ...(IANAL, I don't know what else to ask)

My $0.02: it's worth asking this stuff in light of https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/27/17169064/federal-circuit-oracle-v-google-third-trial-java-android.

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquyres at cisco.com<mailto:jsquyres at cisco.com>