[ofiwg] [EXTERNAL] Re: Trying to understand how to use the auth_key field.

Pritchard Jr., Howard howardp at lanl.gov
Thu Jun 17 08:49:43 PDT 2021

Hi All,

For cray aries network the auth key is handled by two external widgets:
1. part of job launching procedure either with aprun or slurm, or
2. there' an rdma credentials server an application can use - https://cug.org/proceedings/cug2016_proceedings/includes/files/pap108s2-file1.pdf
I think mercury and some other libfabric consumers have used that.

In both cases It's an external agent that is handling this.

I believe for HPE slingshot11 there's a pmix plugin that will do 1 (not sure about that though)

Howar

On 6/17/21, 8:57 AM, "ofiwg on behalf of Hefty, Sean" <ofiwg-bounces at lists.openfabrics.org on behalf of sean.hefty at intel.com> wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply, Sean.
    >
    > I agree that the auth_key needs to come from something at a higher level. I've been
    > experimenting with Intel MPI, though, and I can't figure out how to get it to generate
    > one - the auth_key fields in the domain and ep attributes are null when I see them.
    > I've ended up using a shell variable passed in on the mpirun command but I feel like
    > that should be the fallback rather than the only solution.

    I don't know how Intel MPI handles job keys.  But having MPI generate a key doesn't seem any better than libfabric generating one, unless you're including mpirun or the the start-up as part of MPI.  I'll forward your email separately to one of the MPI developers.