[Ofmfwg] OFMF meeting agenda---re-edit and re-send

Cayton, Phil phil.cayton at intel.com
Fri Aug 5 06:23:32 PDT 2022

Please see attached for discussion.

From: Aguilar, Michael J. <mjaguil at sandia.gov>
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 12:46 AM
To: ofmfwg at lists.openfabrics.org; Cayton, Phil <phil.cayton at intel.com>; Ahlvers, Richelle <richelle.ahlvers at intel.com>; Hanke, Erich <ehanke at intelliprop.com>; Jim Hull <jmhull at intelliprop.com>; Sandur, Atul <Atul.Sandur at amd.com>; Blagodurov, Sergey <Sergey.Blagodurov at amd.com>
Subject: OFMF meeting agenda---re-edit and re-send

Everyone

Sorry for the confusing first send of the agenda.  I sent the edits before I was ready.  Here is the corrected tentative meeting agenda for 5 August 2022Key here is that we want to spend a few minutes looking at the proposed OFMF Working Group Charter.  Here is the corrected tentative meeting agenda for 5 August 2022.

Mike

  1.  Objectives for the OFMFWG Charter

  *   OFMF Software Release 1.0----OFMF Charter----Continue with PoCs while formal software meetings are done in parallel
     *   Mike and Phil have a framework ready for the Friday 5 August 2022 meeting and will email initial iterations out.
  *   DOE demonstration of OFMF.
  *   Identifying potential contributors to the CXL Agent based upon the CXL spec.  CXL 2.0 software emulation will be the target.
     *   Compare framework on Gen-Z, as opposed to, CXL
        *   Show that the upper-level client software doesn’t need to change to operate on the hardware.
        *   Identify the Redfish interface differences between CXL and Gen-Z
           *   Feedback to Redfish any gaps in the models.
        *   Components
           *   Clients
              *   GUI interface
              *   Memory Resource Manager--- intent for inventory, bindings
              *   Composability Manager?
           *   OFMF- book-keeping system
              *   Redfish/Swordfish
           *   Gen-Z infrastructure/Provider
           *   CXL-2.0
              *   Emulator
              *   Provider
              *   Fabric Manager
        *   Documents
           *   Diagram with CXL-2.0
           *   Framework started for Pre-Boot, Post-Boot, CXL Management crawl-out
  *   Work on the documentation and website.
  *   Quick updates on development

     *   Servers are in place.  Group keys are mostly in place.
     *   Documentation on how to interact with OFMF server.
     *   Mike A will be opening ports for the OFMF transaction requests to the ofmfserv machine over the weekend.  Test the ports and integrity of the Firewalls.
        *   Resolved the issues for Russ.
           *   Verify with Erich and Jim

  *   Upcoming conferences

     *   SDC-----Small table with a demo station?  OFA presentation---Mike or Phil or Russ?
     *   FMS----Richelle will represent OFA in the SNIA booth.  We will be getting an invite for sponsorship of the Monday evening reception.
     *   SC22---Approval for the booth for OFA.  We can use the new servers for demos.
     *   SC22—Workshop submissions?

  *   Website work----pending and soon

     *   Agent build documentation—A how to
     *   Transaction guide for the OFMF for Agents and Clients

  *   Next Proof-of-Concept work for SC22

     *   CXL OFMF demo.
•         Are we going to produce another Python-based PoC code stack to demo features or are we going to shoot for a more robust ‘reference implementation’ that anticipates re-use of code? -----Let’s discuss further, with a target of making the code more robust.  CXL emulator?  We have the cloud servers, now.  We need to have a reference architecture of the OFMF.  We are able to make sure our fabric model is abstract enough.  Can hardware be provided for a CXL demo?
•         Will we have CXL – based hardware to back an OFMF / CXL Agent PoC demo?---We are sharing the same Open Source Pavilion, does that help?
•         Will we have a CXL ‘fabric manager’ / Agent layer to merge onto the OFMF layer?-----CXL is very different but the concepts are the same
•         Are we going to add events and messaging to the OFMF layer so we don’t have to make the Agent layer POST the initial inventory?  (OFMF will query the Agent for inventory)-----We need a CXL Switch and next-generation hardware (September?)---Resources---2 Parts Composability Manager and Agent
•         Need to have CXL components represented in the OFMF
•         CXL emulator ofmfcxl---in lieu of the hardware.   That way we aren’t ‘gated’ by hardware availability.
•         Start simple and add to it based upon Use-Cases

  *   Create mockups---Slides from Sergey and Atul
     *   Redfish mock-up of the CXL components with DMTF.
        *   MLD----CXL Multi Logical Device
        *   SLD-----CXL Single Logical Device, this will be first
        *   What pieces of the full Redfish schema does the CXL framework understand?
o    Generic FAM models could be re-applied to the CXL work
•  Work out how to use Composability
•  Improved ordered start-up of services
•         Restructure of agents
•         CXL fabric manager

        *   CXL Composability Use-Case description and CXL Agent
           *   What Redfish can do and what is the best way to incorporate it?
•         Are we going to be showing any of the Gen-Z PoC stack or HW ?----IntelliProp?  We need to be more succinct in the documentation and make a reference implementation.
•           More types of fabrics and Use-Cases for abstractions that will ‘flesh out’ the OFMF.
o    *. Full Fabric Model
•  Walk through the reporting Use-Cases
•         Right now, very simple fabrics
•         Example:  What needs to be in the Fibre Channel model?
o    Get more involvement
•         Gen-Z Proof-Concept Demo
o    Enable Events for Zephyr to be able to interrupt the Agent and the Agent can interrupt the OFMF for Real-Time updates to the fabric abstraction
•  Deltas in Zephyr as opposed to a full fabric polling
•  Add/Delete and Agent is being added to a running Zephyr Fabric Manager

  1.