[Openib-windows] RE: company name in OpenIB code

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Tue Nov 1 09:50:50 PST 2005

I've added this to the Access Layer TODO list on the OpenIB Windows WIKI.  Feel
free to send a patch if this bothers you.

> > Lastly, I am not at all interested in enabling branding of
> > what should be a single-source binary.  I'll take patches to
> > reference OpenIB, but will not take any patches that allow
> > individual branding.  It just doesn't make any sense -
> > companies should be using the OpenIB binaries, period.
>
> What about the inf files ? Do you want to remove them from the source tree ?

Why should they be removed?  Removing them makes the OpenIB repository much less
useful to the community since any users would have to write their own INF files.
That's just a silly suggestion.

They should be changed to OpenIB branding, unless there are product-specific
entries.  For example, there's a generic IB I/O Unit device key in the
ibbus.inf, which should not reference any particular vendor.  There are also
entries for SilverStorm VEx and VFx, which have unique and distinguishable
device IDs.  We should add any other vendor's device IDs as long as they are
unique.  Changing the branding in the INF files is also covered by the TODO
entry in the Access Layer TODO list in the OpenIB Windows Wiki.

Feel free to send me a patch for these changes if they bother you.