[Openib-windows] RE: Errors handeling on Winsock direct

Dror Goldenberg gdror at mellanox.co.il
Thu Oct 27 15:50:18 PDT 2005

> From: Fab Tillier [mailto:ftillier at silverstorm.com]
>
> > As a meter of fact the problem is harder, since the function ib_cq_comp
> > doesn't have a way to return an error. Please note that returning 0 is
not
> > enough because 0 is a legal option if nothing was found. As  a result,
there
> > is a need to change all the callers of this function, so  that the error
will
> > be propagated to there caller.
>
> What will the callers do with the propagated value?  Would all cases of
errors
> on the CQ be accompanied by async affiliated error  notification for that
CQ?
> What about for the QP?

Not sure I understand the question, but in general there are problems that
are:
- reported to the CQ (without async error), those are errors that have a WQE

   affiliated with them
- reported as async errors, no CQE generated because there is no WQE
affiliated with them
- reported as async errors because CQ overflows

I guess that the SAN provider has to catch all of those (unless you can
guarantee by
design that they will never happen) and somehow propagate them up the stack
so that WSD
can report them to the application. For example, if the QP times-out, then
it needs to
be ultimately reported to the application that the socket has also timed
out.

-Dror