[Openib-windows] Make KAL static library

Fabian Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Mon Apr 10 09:44:44 PDT 2006

Hi Yossi,

On 4/10/06, Yossi Leybovich <sleybo at mellanox.co.il> wrote:

> Fab
>
> Commit rev 293 make ibal to static library this brake our build.
>
> I get the following error
>
> 1>errors in directory w:\work\clean\ulp\sdp\kernel
> 1>ulp\sdp\kernel\ibal.lib(al_smi.obj) : error LNK2001:
> unresolved external symbol _node_desc
> 1>bin\kernel\objfre_wnet_x86\i386\sdp.sys : error LNK1120:
> 1 unresolved externals
>
> I notice that you remove the variable node_desc from al_driver to ib_bus, so
> SDP that link to ibal.lib does not resolve this symbol.
> One solution is to declare this variable in SDP , but don't you think we
> should declare this variable as part of ibal
> so other kernel modules will be able to link with it without linking to the
> bus.

The node_desc was never intended for external use.  You can't link to
the bus driver because it's not an export driver, and I rolled ibal
into the bus driver because I don't want any kernel drivers linking to
it anymore (see recent patches to eliminate linker dependencies from
the HCA drivers).  We should strive to eliminate any dynamic link
dependencies between drivers as it introduces issues for driver
updates since the driver can stay loaded if there's any reference on
it, eventhough it doesn't show up in the device stack for any device.

What are you using the node description for?  I don't understand what
you would do with it.