[Openib-windows] [openib-general] ib_types.h and Win/Linux consolidation

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Jul 6 11:31:44 PDT 2006

Eitan Zahavi wrote:
> I have been approached by several people asking for where does one gets
> a header
> file defining the IBTA “wire” protocol.

I'm not sure that it makes sense to try to have a single header file that
defines all wire data structures.  For example, I don't think that any module
outside of the IB CM cares about the CM wire formats.

Getting and setting values in wire format is also non-trivial for many of the
structures definitions.  The approach used so far has been to pack/unpack the
structures under another API, like the sa_query.

> So the point is clear: If we are missing such a complete IBTA H file and
> people are actually looking for where the wire protocol is being defined
> why shouldn’t we promote ib_types.h to the main include directory?

What wire structures are missing from the include files in include/rdma?