[Openib-windows] Installing WSD from a directory without write permissions.

Fabian Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Fri Jun 23 07:27:51 PDT 2006

Tzachi,

I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding the role of maintainer.
The maintainer is supposed to be a subjet matter expert.  The
maintainer is not supposed to be the only developer.  The maintainer
is not supposed to be someone to whom you report a bug and they go
chase it.  The role of the maintainer is to control what gets and
doesn't get checked into a module.  It is to drive the direction that
the code moves in.  To base maintainership on who authored the most
code in the past month is idiotic.  I am maintainer of certain
components because of my knowledge of the code base, understanding of
the software archtiecture, and vision of where to take the stack as a
whole.

Sure, there are critical bugs, and tests are failling.  That doesn't
give you the right to check in changes that *do not* solve a critical
bug.  The issue at hand here is that you committed a change that was
largely cosmetic and not immediately required.  This is just plain
wrong, and totally orthogonal to whatever other critical issues there
may be.

If a patch you sent isn't getting applied, you need to send an email
requesting an update on the status.  This is the process, and is
followed on Linux.  Just because the Windows project doesn't have the
same community involvement does not give Mellanox the right to try to
strongarm its way into ownership

Lastly, questioning my dedication to this project is ridiculous and
insulting.  This project wouldn't exist where it not for the immense
amount of time and work I have invested in it.