[Openib-windows] DDK to be used

Leonid Keller leonid at mellanox.co.il
Wed Mar 22 03:12:26 PST 2006

I meant _byteswap_uint64(expression).
I saw reports on a buggy behaviour of this function on the Internet and
an MS guy, acknowledging that.

> or even InterlockedOr(addr, 0)! ]
>
> This is the same DDK that I am using, and I don't have any issues.
> Can you give examples of what the warnings are?

These are not warnings, but compiler bugs.
Here is an example (see in mthca_create_ah() in kernel\mthca_av.c):

	if (!atomic_read(&pd->sqp_count) &&
		 !(dev->mthca_flags & MTHCA_FLAG_DDR_HIDDEN))
		branch1
	else
		branch2

The code, built by the compiler, will always enter branch1.
[in my case pd->sqp_count was 4 and it has entered it]

> > What DDK are you using ?
> > Do you have an access to a newer DDK ? Can  we get it ?
>
> I don't think there's a newer DDK out.  The WDK (Windows
> Driver Kit) will be out along with Vista, and we'll switch to
> that when it's released.
>
> > If - not, what a solution would you suggest ?
> > [We were thinking about using a compiler from VC 8.0. It is
> of major
> > version 14 and seems like better.
> > But it comes with its own headers and libs and we will need
> to somehow
> > merge two different IDEs, which can cause new problems and
> use DLLs,
> > that do not come with OS (like msvcrt80.dll), which complicates
> > installation.]
>
> I don't think we want to use the VC8 compiler.  First, it
> requires getting the DDK build environment to use it rather
> than its own, second it requires other uses of OpenIB to get
> Visual Studio, which is not free like the DDK.
>
> I'm sure we can find a solution to the build warnings, since
> I have not had any and I build with /W4.

I think, the right solution is to use Vista WDK: they have there
compilers of 14 major version (both x86 and x64).