[Openib-windows] MTHCA firmware checks

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Tue Mar 28 10:58:47 PST 2006

Hi Leo,

I tried loading the MTHCA driver on one of my Tavor HCAs and it complained that
the firmware was too old and failed loading.  However, this introduces a
chicken/egg problem, where I can't update the firmware without the driver
loaded, and the driver won't load because the firmware is too old.

Could we rather define a way to create a "dumb" HCA - one that only supports
open/close CA, as well as create PD?  This "dumb" HCA would map to the
memory-controller mode of the Tavor HCAs, and thus allow the firmware to be
updated, but no other functionality.

Do you have a better alternative?